Re: [wg-b] RE: (wg-b) Issues to Consider

In my consulting practice I see a lot of the following:

(1) big companies that want to buy 800 numbers (in violation of the 800
anti-brokering rules they helped put in place)
(2) smaller companies who's 800 numbers have been stolen by, or for, larger
companies
(3) smaller companies being harassed by larger companies because they said
"no", or quoted too high(?), when approached "amicably" by the larger
company to buy their 800 number.

I realize its the job of trademark owners and their representatives to
promote trademark interests, but what is the point  misrepresenting the
extent of the "extortionist" problem?

The strategy has not served trademark interests in the 800 arena at all.

Furthermore, what is the point of winning the trademark wars, if
*everyone's* domain name agreement, tm-owners and not, says, "You agree that
[XYZ Registrar] may, in [its] sole discretion, delete or transfer your
domain name at any time" ?

Dare I suggest that a focus-adjustment is in order?  ICANN's STATEMENT OF
REGISTRAR ACCREDITATION POLICY, J. 7. i., moves domain name rights from ALL
end users to ICANN ... you might as well have no trademark at all ...

Judith

--
Judith Oppenheimer, 1 800 The Expert, 212 684-7210
mailto:joppenheimer@icbtollfree.com