FW: [wg-b] RE: (wg-b) Issues to Consider

As another famous trademark holder, I would like to echo Bell Atlantic's
assessment.  Famous marks are particularly vulnerable to third party abuse
precisely because of their fame:  Recognizing the trademark owner as a "deep
pocket" numerous members of the Internet have developed a sophisticated
practice of attempting to register famous marks in the hope of either
confusing the public or receiving exhorbitant sums from the rightful owners.
The testimony gathered during the WIPO hearings abounds with incidents of
such misconduct.  To require rightful trademark owners to chase these clear
infringers around the globe to protect their rights only succeeds in
rewarding the infringers.  Such an impediment will only hurt the internet
since it will render it more difficult for trademark owners and the public
at large to rely on the medium for accurate information.

Defining a famous mark is a complex process.  However, WIPO spent a great
deal of time and utilized a great deal of expertise to provide us with a
practical process.  That process should be endorsed and implemented.