RE: [wg-b] 800 Telephone Scenario

What are the deadlines for this group and what is expected other than
votebot results?

 No registry or related agency is
>voluntarily going to undertake the notification process, to either the
>trademark owner or domain name registrant, because of various legal and
>technical problems associated with it (see NSI's position in the WorldSport
>case where the court wanted NSI to install filters). Therefore, domain name
>registrants will never be able to receive the neutral type of notification
>that was discussed on the list.

The contents of the fame claim would be very non-neutral but they would be
clearly identified as originating with the TM owner - I don't see why the
claim cannot be accompanied by a cover email from the list administrator
that says "We are passing this along to you for informational purposes
only.  We are not responsible for its contents and specifically have not
and do not verify the accuracy of its contents.  Seek competent legal
advice.  See the following list of links for more information from a
variety of sources.  Drive safe."  <--- this is not intended to be a draft
for discussion purposes, only to illustrate that it is possible for the
cover letter from a neutral party to indicate that party's neutrality.

The only notification will come in the form
>of a cease and desist letters that some attorney will write after his/her
>client has been notified either through its own efforts or through the
>services of a third party that will monitor the root for specific
>sub-strings. So in this case we have come full circle and we are back to
>square one. The compromise in the idea that I proposed yesterday involved an
>affirmative act by a trademark owner to qualify their mark as famous and
>then grant them a right a first refusal in the new gTLD space that could be
>challenged by a third party.

If Nike passes on nike.art and then someone uses nike.art to sell sneakers,
will there be prejudice agaisnt Nike for having passed in the first place?
Does Nike then not pass on nike.art for that reason?

 Other ccTLDs have enacted safeguards for famous
>trademark owners so I fail to see why this group of participants (with
>impressive credentials) cannot reach an intelligent well thought out
>compromise.

Can you please post links or other info regarding these policies?

>To follow-up on an issue raised by Dennis with regard to the group's focus
>on protecting trademarks above religions, etc. I guess the question is
>rather simple. On a global basis, reaching a consensus on economic issues is
>much easier to do than on religious ones. I believe this fact is evidenced
>by the large number of signatories to the various international treaties
>regarding intellectual property.

I think the answer is simpler still.  The COCA COLA tradmark is an asset of
Coca Cola and it makes economic sense for it to protect it.  The name of a
decentralized (and even a centralized) religion is not viewed as an
economic asset and it is not organized to protect it in trademark like
fashion.  I think it's not that there wouldn't be consensus - there's no
organizaed entity pushing for such protection (although as Dennis pointed
out such protection is certainly warrnated.  Incidentally, TM statutes
around the world do have provisions barring the registration of various
religious terms.

As you are likely aware, interim drafts fo the WIPO report had intended the
UDRP to protect rights  nominally outside of intellectual property
protection, such as the right to publicity/privacy/personality.  In my view
the limitation of the UDRP to "abusive registration" in the final report
arose more from a desire to be conservative about a new procedure, than
from a firm view as to whether such rights desire such protection (it is
hard to see why the registration of [celebrity's name].com is less
piractical than other instances of cyber-piracy).

There are other categories of "reserved words."  WIPO maintains a list -
for example medicine names are barred from TM registrations - is it in the
public interest that there be no penicillin.com?  WIPO considered proposing
this and backed off.  DNSO may well wish to consider this.