RE: [wg-b] Recent US Case Law

What are the deadlines for the group?

I propose an additional question, which perhaps should be numbered question
0 rather than question 8:

Should there be exclusions at all, or are there more effective ways of
protecting famous marks?

Comment:  The details requested in questions 1 through 7 seem to be mooted
until a convincing answer can be made to this question.

First, the exclusion would appear to be of limited utility.  As I undertand
it (and correct me if I'm wrong) the exclusion would NOT be effective
against variants - so if IBM is deemed to be a famous mark the exclusion
would not work against ibmnetwork.firm, ibmsoftware.firm, ibmsystems.firm,
ibmconsulting.firm, etc.

Second, unless limited to a nextraordinarily small number of marks, the
exclusion would appear to lead to unjust results, as it acts in effect as
an ex parte finding that the registration of [famousmark].[tld] is
actionable without the context in which the registration takes place.
There are some but not a lot of marks that merit such a finding and not all
of them are famous.   There are marks which are so distinctive - there is a
little plausibility to why a third party can register enzoangiolini.firm or
teenagemutantninjaturtles.firm or cocacola.firm or carloppedahl.firm in
good faith.

However there is a class of marks which, while they could meet many
definitions of fame (TIME, TIDE, DIAL, SUN), context is needed to determine
if there will be a likelihood of confusion.  The registration of time.firm
by a clock company is different from a registration of time.firm by
Newhouse Publications (a competitor to TIME).  ENZO ANGIOLINI deserves such
protection and would not likely get it, other marks may get it and not
deserve it, but that puts the would be DN registrant through two procedures
- first it would have to protest the granting of the exclusion, then it
would likely have to defend an UDRP challenge. The UDRP is a proposed
mechanism for obtaining such context on an expedited basis and making a
preliminary determination.  The owners of clue.com and dennison.net would
have liked such a determination early on.

Third - the exclusion process will likely be useless in protecting the
suddenly famous - new company mergers (citigroup.firm, mobilexxon.firm),
movie titles (blairwitch.arts) and most new Internet companies (yahoo.firm,
ebay.web, slashdot.info).  Again, the UDRP is more flexible tool for these
types of problems.

I would encourage the group to contemplate a strong endorsement of good
registration practices and a fair UDRP in the place of devoting resources
to an exclusion process.

At 07:57 AM 9/13/99 -0400, you wrote:

> [...]
person for whom it is intended. This
>transmission may contain privileged or confidential information. If you
are not the intended recipient, do not
>disseminate, distribute, or copy this transmission. Please immediately
notify the sender that you have received
>this transmission in error, and delete this transmission from your system.

>Also, please note that in responding to this transmission or in forwarding
electronic mail, the Internet is not
>secure and the mail and/or its attachments could be intercepted by third
parties. Further, when sending
>electronic mail to our firm, it is important to confirm receipt of any
time sensitive information, since the