Re: [wg-b] notification as compromise?

Actually, Thompson & Thompson and others are running searches on the WHOIS
database all the time.  Even if some of the contact information is ultimately
held private, I believe that the registered domain names will always  be
public.  T&T could notify Nissan of whatever strings Nissan wanted --
including close spellings, other car names, etc.

Couldn't the market rather than the registry provide the service?

Harald@alvestrand.no wrote:
> (If the domain name database is searchable for substrings, you don't even
>  have to have the registry involved - "search every 3rd day" is a business
>  opportunity - but that has privacy implications too - see discussion in
>  WIPO report on open databases).

Kathy Kleiman