Re: [wg-b] "Oops" domains

The protection is not against the clumsiness of typists but against those
who would seek to profit from the clumsiness of typists.  A key motivation
of the counterfeiter and infringer is to prey on the "imperfect
recollection" (and in this case, imperfect typing) of the consumer.  You
could look up that term.  A great deal of bad faith usage of a mark relies
on small deviations from the mark in question in the hope that the consumer
will not notice (confusion).

Again, we are not talking about an expansion of the law - recently a
district court ruled that the domain name wwwpainewebber.com (sic - the dot
was missing after the www) infringed the mark PAINE WEBBER.

Hoeever, as to the larger point, whether mis-typings should be covered by
an exclusion, if one were to list all the possible mis-typings of a makr
(or more importantly all the "pseudo-marks" for a mark (those marks which
are not identical to a mark but may be visually, phoneticaly or
connotatively similar, as N-R-G, energee, N-ergee and N-R-Gee are for the
word ENERGY) we see the limitations of the exclusion process.  Clearly the
exclusion cannot cover all pseudo-marks (for the reasons stated belwo and
for others) - only an IDENTITY-exclusion is feasible - but an identity
exclusion is of limited utility.

In other words, trademark owners are still going to need the UDRP.

So is the exclusion process worth the effort?