Re: [wg-b] Japanese Sunrise Program

John Berryhill's point is important.  If the trademark issue is
presented in the ICANN process as one where a handful of ICANN
participants how the power to destroy businesses or to get the US
Congress to enact really bad legislation, it creates resentments, and
some bitter exchanges on lists.

I think that trademark owners have legitimate concerns about the costs
of maintaining and defending their trademarks in an expanded root, and
the discussion in WG-B were useful to me, in thinking about these
issues.  I would hope that in the comment period for the proposals,
trademark owners would also show some recognition that there is a public
interest in an expanded name space, and that there are legitimate limits
on their rights as owners of trademarks.  Clearly there will be
particular reasons why some of the non-commerical applications will not
fit the mold that the TM lobby is pushing for the .com competitors.
Likewise for some of the restricted commerical domains, particularly
those that are industry specific.  I would hope to see some recognition
of this in the comment period, backing up some of the reasonable
comments I heard in Cairo on this point.

  Jamie