Re: [wg-b] Japanese Sunrise Program

>Dear (former) WG-B Members:
>
>I think this article shows that despite all the criticisms about the Sunrise
>Program it was the best solution available.
>
>Mike

Isn't that rather akin to saying "because a few people go overboard,
it's ok to repeal the First Amendment because that's the best
solution available?"  It's an overreaching overreaction to the cyber
bullying by the trademark lobby, scaring registrars into draconian
measures in the attempt to avoid liability.

It's very sad to see the way the ideals of the Internet have given
way to wholesale strip mining of the name space for the benefit of
the few.  Registrars, registries, and other businesses alike have
'caved in' to the demands of a single lobby "because it's easier"
than standing up for what is right.

First the names will become too regulated for individuals and small
business owners.  Next, the content will be threatened to the point
where you'll need a lawyer before you can post a web page.  That
isn't what the Internet should be about.  "The Internet is for
Everyone?"  Ironic, no?

The "best solution available" is the same as it has ALWAYS been.
Open the name space.  Thousands of new TLDs will alleviate consumer
confusion.  After all, isn't preventing "consumer confusion" what
trademark law is build upon in the first place?  Wouldn't consumers
be less confused by delta.air, delta.hardware, and delta.dental than
who gets delta.com?  Then deal with actual cases of infringement.
Gee, what a concept!