RE: Another idea (Re: [wg-b] An idea?)

Harald,
This is much better, but it breaks SRS. How do you figure that
registrars play in this?

My solution is;

1) Registrant registers name.
2) Name gets published in the registry's whois.
3) Markholder, who should be scanning whois anyway, spots the new
registration.
4) Markholder makes inquiry with registrant, within 180 days.

Here is where it gets tricky. The only known fact is the registration of
the name. No intended use is known at registration time, for an SLD,
unless the TLD has a specific charter. In short, there is no legal
grounds to claim infringment until intended use is known. In 180 days,
they have either declared intended use, or it is parked. The latter may
provide evidence for a cyber-squatting finding, depending on specifics.
However, infringement may be difficult to prove, without additional
evidence.

5) If the markholder fears infringment, they can then file suit in
either the jurisdiction of the defendent, or that of the registry, or
both. They will so notify the registry of impending legal action.

6) The registry now puts the domain on special status that will prevent
the domain from going on hold, or being sold, unless specific court
orders are delivered, from the registry's jurisdiction, or direct
instruction is received from the registrant (possibly on court orders
from the registrant's juridiction, via the registrant). Call this
special status "contested" and show this in the whois data, including
all plaintiffs.

7) The registry complies with all court and registrant issued orders,
with the sole exception of transfer of ownership. Transfer of ownership
is not allowed to occur, without permission of all interested parties,
until the legal issues are cleared. Note that, if the registrant is a
corporation then there is nothing preventing the corporation from being
sold, as the same legal entity still owns the domain name, evnthough the
entity itself may have different owners (this is meant as a speed-bump,
not a brick wall).

I think that many of you will recognise that, saving a few tweeks, this
is mostly current law. What's different is the time limits (ample) and
the presumption of guilt (none). What would upset some is that this
appears fair.