RE: [wg-b] RE: opportunity to pre-empt, or license to infringe?

At last year's annual meeting of the International Trademark Association, I
stated that the Internet is a unique phenomenon: It is a worldwide,
instantaneous communication system that is democratic and decentralized. It
should remain so and, as I said then, how the Internet community copes with
the issue of regulation and governance in dealing with problems such as
privacy, criminality, taxation and economic competition without jeopardizing
the Internet's essential character will be the fundamental challenge.

That said, I believe that you, and others, underestimate the economic value,
opportunity and importance of the Internet. The Internet has the potential
of significantly increasing productivity, reducing costs, and ultimately
improving the standard of living of all peoples around the world. Not today
or tomorrow, but in 10 years, maybe 25. One can glibly say that free speech
is paramount, but to most people in the world, and to their governments, a
decent standard of living takes precedence.

Commercial interests and other trademark owners will inevitably play a large
role in the growth and economic development of the Internet. Those who do
not accept that fact and are unwilling to cooperate in that development,
will have little influence in maintaining the character of Internet I
described above.

Steve Hartman