From: Judith Oppenheimer
To: Cade,Marilyn S - LGA ; 'Hartman, Steve' ; 'John Berryhill Ph.D. J.D.' ; wg-b@dnso.org
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2000 6:04 PM
Subject: RE: [wg-b] RE: opportunity to pre-empt, or license to infringe?

Ms. Marilyn.  Let's try this one more time.  Steve Hartman of Nabisco said,

"[The Sunrise Proposal] simply allows trademark owners the opportunity to pre-empty speculators and cybersquatters."

I replied that cybersquatting involves infringement of trademark rights and is actionable.*

But speculation is legal and legitimate activity.  Trademark owners have no legal right to infringe on speculators' activity.

You can try to "clean it up" all you want, but the true agenda of the Trademark Lobby rings through loud and clear from Steve's statement noted above.

In fact, he continued, "On balance, the benefits of the sunrise provision outweigh free speech and hoarding concerns."

*Note for the record my objection to pre-emptive "anti-cybersquatter" DNS attachment, as legally there is no "cybersquatting" per se regarding a particular trademark and domain name, until a judge says there is.  I can only conclude as I wrote earlier, that the objective of the Trademark Lobby is to:

-- Create new trademark rights to pre-empt population of the DNS.

-- Grant trademarks license to infringe on the legitimate rights of others.

-- Dismiss outright, so-called public resource issues; and

-- Discard that most elementary of American rights: free speech.

I've observed the Trademark Lobby's attempts at similar take-over activities in the toll free number arena for years (thwarted time and again by the FCC, which unlike ICANN, isn't in bed with one particular constituency, and also unlike ICANN, is a mature, knowledgeable and accountable regulatory body.)

The FCC's position on trademark rights in the numbering space should serve as a model for the Internet regarding the DNS.

Instead we are confronted without exaggeration by a taking over of the DNS; a truly malicious act of aggression and oppression against the Internet community worldwide.

("consumer protection" my ass, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ... )

P.S.  You write "The trademark holder has no choice but to protect their brand."  Here we have no argument.

But Marilyn, you know  that protection is provided legally by remedy, not by pre-emption, and that the UDRP has proven successful both as a viable alternative to litigation, and an inexpensive, rapid tool for remedy.

Which leaves your plea disingenuous, if not downright smarmy.

 800 & Dot Com News, Intelligence, Consulting - FREE Daily HeadsUp Headlines.
"...superb real-time source..." -- "...invaluable..." -- "...indispensable..."
http://ICBTollFree.com -- http://1800TheExpert.com --  (U.S.) 1 800 The Expert
Judith Oppenheimer -- mailto:joppenheimer@icbtollfree.com --  +1 212 684-7210