Re: [wg-b] WG-B Report

In making comments on the WB-B report, I would urge all WG members, and all
members of the public, to remember an important fact. The Names Council (NC)
members do not care what the public comments say, nor do they care what
consensus items are arrived at in the Working Groups.

Yesterday, Mr. Sheppard voted against the long-established consensus item from
WG-C calling for 6-10 new gTLDs. The WG report, as well as public comments,
overwhelmingly supported that many new gTLDs or more. Thus, a WG can hold a
vote on a consensus item three or four times, obtain 2/3 or more votes
consistently, and make carefully crafted compromises designed to please as many
stakeholders as possible. This will not have any appreciable effect on the
outcome of a vote on the NC.

Voting on the NC takes place on strict "party line" basis, i.e., each NC member
votes for the particular interest of their constituency. Thus, yesterday, NC
had a voting item, "is there a consensus on 6-10 new gTLDs?" The answer to that
question should have been obvious, because WG-C voted on it several times and
it was put up for public comments. However, the members did not really vote on
that question. They voted on the question: do I or the special interests in my
constituency want 6-10 new TLDs?

One of the NC members even made a pointed joke questioning how many members
actually read the WG reports, much less the public comments.

Keep this in mind as you prepare your comments.