Re: [wg-b] wg-b

Here is ICANN's resolution requesting the famous trademarks list. Despite
the attempts at weasel wording its use (e.g. "would be helpful") does
anyone on this list really doubt ICANN's ultimate plan to use this use for
exclusionary purposes across all gTLDs?

http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-10mar00.htm
Request to WIPO for Information

Whereas, the World Intellectual Property Organization in its April 30, 1999
report to ICANN has offered to prepare a list of globally famous trademarks;

Resolved that the Board notes such a list would be helpful to its
assessment of proper action on expansion of the TLD space.

>At 05:11 06.04.2000 -0700, you wrote:
>>Harald Tveit Alvestrand
>> >Can we give up the list idea permanently now, please?
>> >And with it the whole idea of any famous marks protection except
>> >recourse to the courts?
>>
>>I heartily support that suggestion.
>>
>>Unfortunately, ICANN, in its dubious wisdom, has already asked WIPO to make
>>such a list, thereby rendering as inconsequential Working Group B's
>>discussion on the matter.
>
>reference? would be interesting to see what they asked for.....
>
>>Yet ICANN claims it's a "bottom up" organization,  Fah!
>
>yes. bottom + agitation = murk -> decision without seeing clearly.
>business as usual.
>
>                     Harald
>

>--
>Harald Tveit Alvestrand, EDB Maxware, Norway
>Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no

Ellen Rony                    //          http://www.domainhandbook.com
Co-author                  *="  ____ /            erony@marin.k12.ca.us
The Domain Name Handbook      \     )                  +1  415.435.5010
                              //   \\             "Carpe canine"

          The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.