RE: [wg-b] famous names

I've been thinking about chartered gTLDs for some time, as some of you may
recall, from other work on various lists.  In some of my very early filings
on Green Paper and White Paper, and in public meetings, I raised two areas
of possible exploration:  a list of "famous and well known marks, based on
an objective criteria largely, with a fairly high bar. I was thinking of
multiple regions (more than one) and a number of something like 35 countries
(but not all within one region, maybe at least three in more than one
region. Please don't overreact to this posting. It is an idea to consider in
order to clear out some of the barriers that are facing us. It's not a
perfect approach, but we need to keep in mind that the Internet doesn't
exist totally outside of physical space. That is, so far, individuals
continue to live in physical space, even if they spend a lot of time online.
SO, I don't know if Philip's idea works for anyone, but it is interesting to
examine further.

If we don't do chartered gTLDs, I can't imagine how we generate new space;
here's my concern:  if my mark is registered in over 100 countries and 4 of
the 5 ICANN regions, then if a .biz, .firm; .co; .telecom; .internet;
.wireless; .cable is introduced, then I think a commercial company who
offers communications, cable, and wireless would have to consider
registering in all.  That adds cost to the registering company; does provide
revenue to the registrars/registry, but doesn't result in new space.
Probably generates a lot of disputes and lawsuits--all unproductive
expenditures of money, and frustrating to everyone concerns, including the
consumer who is just looking for a business, or NGO to get information or
conduct a transaction.

IF instead, other approaches are taken; adding affirmatively consistent
second level domains (@auto.com; @med.com; @lawfirm.com; @drs.com might be
one approach, but a better option might be adding chartered gTLDs, like
.med; law; .store.  The above company might have to register in .store if
they operate storefronts for their wireless phones, but maybe they could
"pass" on the other two.     And, if these TLDS have charters, like .edu,
then two things will happen, I speculate: one, there is "new space" for
those entities who are in those areas. Companies who don't fit the charter
wouldn't have to proactively register to protect their brands; and consumers
can be gradually acclimated to an approach which is similar to what they
experience in physical space in finding resources via a sort of functional
grouping.

Thanks, Philip, for getting this discussion moving ...

Personally, I would like to see Working Group B continue to work and to take
on the discussion of the criteria for introducing new gTLDs,
characteristics, issues, etc.  WG-C hasn't demonstrated an effective ability
to police itself and stay on point with effective communications. It has a
very large number of "members" but very few active participants... I'm not
adverse to both working in parallel; the constituencies seem very different.
MC