RE: [wg-b] Second Circuit on First Amendment Analysis of Domain Names

I don't see why ICANN cannot define a "famous mark" for the sole purpose of
an exclusion from the domain space. For example, a famous mark could be
defined for this limited purpose as one that has been registered in at least
50 countries for at least 5 years and has had worldwide sales of at least US
1 billion dollars for each of 5 of the last 10 years. While I don't suggest
that the 5-year/10-year period and US$1 billion are the right numbers, or
that additional or alternative criteria are more appropriate, a domain name
exclusion based on such a definition of a "famous mark" strikes me as
reasonable and workable.

Steve Hartman