[wg-b] Register.com auto-reg's TMs in all domains, ICANN a customer

According to http://www.newsbytes.com/pubNews/99/140785.html
registre.com will now automatically register a domain name in over
260 TLDs at once for TM holders willing to pay the fee.

I'm assuming this includes all ccTLDs as well.

Oh, and get this:

"On an interesting side note, the powerful and controversial Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is also technically
a Register.com Corporate Services client - although only because of
the volume of domain names it maintains.

ICANN President Mike Roberts told Newsbytes that ICANN did select
Register.com to renew a number of domain names that ICANN maintains,
but stressed that ICANN's business relationship with the young
registrar goes no further than that."

So, we have pre-emptive protection of trade and famous marks by fiat.
We also have ICANN implicitly supporting this.

What implications does this have for this WG?

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org