Re: [wg-b] RESPONSE to submission from noncommercial community

On 10 December 1999, "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@aim.be> wrote:

>Our task is to think of the consumer-friendly world of the future which
>simultaneously allows the car-buying user to find VW and not be irritated
>that it is instead Virtual Works and allows Virtual Works, if they choose
>for legitimate consumer marketing reasons to be known as VW, to not be
>confused with VW cars.

Is this the same "consumer-friendly world" in which the consumer is
a completely passive revenue-generating entity, guided through the
turgid waters of evil cyberspace by the benevolent corporations?

No, thanks.  As a consumer, I'd much rather retain some control over
the Internet.  You see, I'd prefer you not turn the Internet into the
next television.  I'm not here to give you my money; I'm here because
the Internet is about communication, not commercialization.  Every time
you take a step towards the latter, those you believe to be passive
marks will shove back towards the former.

The Internet isn't the sole purview of corporations.  However, many
are now acting as though they've had something taken from them, when
in reality they never had it to begin with.

--
Mark C. Langston
mark@bitshift.org