Re: [wg-b] Famous Third-Level Domains

At 12:24 26.11.99 -0500, Attyross@aol.com wrote:
>A possible new issue has occurred to me that has not been
>discussed much here.  That is, how should famous third-level
>domains be handled.  Take, for example, the real site at:
>http://mmm.beer.com

In most cases, this will be out of scope for ICANN, since this is clearly
the responsibility of the administrator of beer.com.

This was one of my first discussions in the WIPO comittee; making sure the
docs said that they were only concerned with the domains where the
registrar and the registrant were two different organizations.

The exception is "functional" domains like co.uk.

                 Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no