RE: [wg-b] US Statutorily Protected Marks

As to the marks protected as well-known marks by the Japanese:  One should
note that the only claim for these marks is that they are recognized as
well-known marks in Japan.  There is no implication, as far as I know, that
the marks are internationally well-known or even well-known regionally.

The standards that are used by the Japanese to establish that a mark is
well-known in Japan would perhaps be of interest to the members of  WG-B.
As far as I know, based on a briefing I had on the system almost two years
ago, the Japanese use two standards to establish that a mark is well-known
in Japan.  A mark will be considered well-known in Japan if 1) a court of
competent jurisdiction declares that the mark is well-known, or,  2) if the
owner of the mark has a certain number of defensive registrations.  (I don't
know what that number is.)

A defensive registration is one where the mark is registered for a type of
goods or services not produced by the mark owner. Only a few national
trademark systems have such registrations and the defensive registration
system has been generally disappearing from national systems.  The defensive
registration serves to keep anyone from registering the mark for the goods
or services listed in the registration.  As an example (this is purely
made-up and non-factual) IBM, whose principal goods and services would be
computer related,  could have defensive registrations for the mark IBM for
such things as key-chains, paper, greeting cards or automobiles.  The
Japanese tote up the number of such registrations and at a certain point
declare that the mark is well-known in Japan.

This is probably more than anyone wanted to know about the subject!