RE: [wg-b] Re: ICANN's Mandate

At 01:54 13.10.99 -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>This is exactly my point Esther. There is no compulsion for a registry to
>signup with ICANN. If they don't, then such exclusions are not binding for
>the simple reason that there is no contract. ICANN had a special leverage
>over NSI, due to the nature of the NSI contract with DOC and then only
>because the DOC cooperated with ICANN. Other registries, such as WEB and
>SuperRoot, are under no such compulsion and ICANN has substantially less
>leverage.

(I'm limiting my response to WG-B, Esther knows this)

While true (no compulsion), it is also meaningless.
There is great incentive in the fact that ICANN has been charged with the
orderly management of the only root that has any useful function in today's
Internet.

See http://www.iab.org/iab/IAB-Technical-Comment.txt

                   Harald
--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no