[wg-b] Re: ICANN's Mandate

Martin and colleagues - whatever the motives of those making
the assertions you cite, they are erroneous.

The USG White Paper, which is ICANN's chartering policy document,
clearly puts trademark issues that intersect with the Domain Name
System on our agenda.

In the Board's very first policy action under the Bylaws - the
accreditation agreement adopted last March - there is  specific
language with regard to the expectation that a dispute resolution
policy for accredited registrars in .com, .org and .net would
be adopted and that when it was, it would be included in the
registrar agreements with ICANN.

In Berlin in May, after considering comments and the WIPO report,
the Board adopted a policy statement in favor of a dispute resolution
policy and directed the staff to work on one.

In Santiago in August, after extensive public consideration of a
staff proposal on dispute resolution, and broad support for a revised
draft, the Board adopted a dispute resolution policy and directed
the staff to work out the details with a drafting committee, and
then post it for further public comment and final consideration by
the board.  We are now in the closing days of the comment period on
the detailed language of the policy and the procedures, including
solicitation of community views on some details.

In case there is any lingering ambiguity about the above, let me
summarize:

(a) the USG and many other stakeholders asked ICANN to work on
trademark and domain name policy issues.

(b) ICANN has considered aspects of these issues at each of its
quarterly board meetings and will undoubtedly devote
more time in the future to items such as famous names and gTLD
expansion, which have been referred to the DNSO (see Berlin
Board resolution) and whose analysis and recommendations will
be carefully considered by the Board.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

- Mike Roberts