Re[2]: [wg-b] Famous Trademarks

Dennis: I have already complimented you in an earlier e-mail on your insistence that domain names are not trademarks, with which I agree. On the other hand, speaking as a Vice President and cooperating attorney of the Center for Constitutional Rights and a staunch defender of the First Amendment, I cannot agree with you that every domain name constitutes per se protected speech. Alexander Meiklejohn, one of our great First Amendments scholars, once explained to me why shouting fire in a crowded theater is not protected while calling for revolution should be. The First Amendment, he said, is intended to provide absolute protection for the democratic dialogue, in which all citizens have a right and duty to participate. The theater thing has nothing to do with that, the revolution thing has everything to do with it. Similarly for domain names. To the extent that they are purely commercial speech, they may be prohibited if they constitute unfairly competive or fraudulent speech. To the extent that they say something about governance, they should be protected. Isn't that pretty much the position that courts everywhere, including the US, have taken so far, even if not in those precise terms?

Subject: Re: [wg-b] Famous Trademarks
Author:  d3nnis@mciworld.com at INTERNET
Date:    9/24/99 6:23 PM

Peter -- this is fascinating and informative.  Thank you.

Here is my problem with 'any' form of exclusion.   A domain name is not a trademark in law.
Creating an exclusion for famous marks contained in domain names thereby freezes a
form of constitutionally-protected speech

If the world wants to make domain names trademarks, then the Paris Convention and TRIPS
should be modified.  I as a US citizen do not want to be required to waive a constitutional
right as a condition of speaking on the Internet.

It isn't just that I'm a cranky constitutionalist.  I confess!  I think this is also just  bad policy.  Eventually
a US court is going to wipe such an exclusion out on any number of First Amendment grounds,
and their decision is going to cite the the reasoning of the WIPO group, and maybe even
this working group.  This is a potential problem for ICANN's reputation.

I'm sure you disagree, and I will be most interested in hearing what will be an articulate and
thought-provoking  reply.