Subject: Re: (wg-b) food for thought
Author:  "Milton Mueller" <SMTP:mueller@syr.edu> at GCOHUB
Date:    9/23/99 2:10 PM

This discussion is proceeding as if the alternative to famous marks
exclusions is pure court litigation. That is not correct.

We cannot lose sight of the fact that a Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy,
which ICANN is in the process of adopting, will give famous mark holders the

following:

a) accurate and complete contact info of all registrants
b) right to identify and challenge any registration that is identical to or
"confusingly" similar to their mark in a process that is much less expensive

and faster than the courts.

I don't see what exclusion adds to that process, except additional expense,
bureaucracy, and opportunities for abuse of domain name holders.

--
m i l t o n   m u e l l e r // m u e l l e r @ s y r . e d u
syracuse university          http://istweb.syr.edu/~mueller/