RE: [wg-b] food for thought

At 11:51 23.09.99 -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>I believe that I said "local"? "Local" in this case, means local
>jurisdiction. MHSC has to conform to the laws of the state of Delaware
>and the Federal government of the USofA. That is all we have to listen
>to. Anything else is strictly courtesy. There are procedura channels
>extant which will bring issues into those jurisdictions. They are
>adequate. It is strictly a matter of process and procedure. Well known
>process and procedure at that.

If these processes and procedures are so well known, how come all those
lawyer guys think there is a problem?

The NSI "policy" ruled that rights registered with the US PTO were superior
to rights registered with the UK (or Egyptian, or Palestinian) PTO with
regards to registration in .com.

Following your principle of "locality" means that all registries and
registrars for a single domain must be located in a single jurisdiction, or
else there will be no coherent policy among them.

For the case of domains marketed as "global", I think that's unworkable,
unreasonable and unacceptable.

                     Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no