RE: [wg-b] 800 Telephone Scenario

I did not ditch the notification process.  I just think the 800 number
analogy is worth "exploring" because it is as to the real world as we get.
Alpha-numeric identification strings, growing demand for new space, former
monopolies, etc. I am trying to get my hands on the documents submitted to
the FCC as to why the 888 exclusion was permitted but the 877 was not. Just
part of the constructive exploring that this group is tasked to do. Although
this analogy is not on all-fours with the DNS model I have yet to find a
closer real world model.

I think the notification process is important and could/should be
incorporated into a final solution, but there are some fatal problems which
I do not believe have been addressed. No registry or related agency is
voluntarily going to undertake the notification process, to either the
trademark owner or domain name registrant, because of various legal and
technical problems associated with it (see NSI's position in the WorldSport
case where the court wanted NSI to install filters). Therefore, domain name
registrants will never be able to receive the neutral type of notification
that was discussed on the list. The only notification will come in the form
of a cease and desist letters that some attorney will write after his/her
client has been notified either through its own efforts or through the
services of a third party that will monitor the root for specific
sub-strings. So in this case we have come full circle and we are back to
square one. The compromise in the idea that I proposed yesterday involved an
affirmative act by a trademark owner to qualify their mark as famous and
then grant them a right a first refusal in the new gTLD space that could be
challenged by a third party.

There are some people that I believe would like to scrap the entire Working
Group B process and let the parties, famous trademark owners and domain name
registrants, fight it out under the new soon to be enacted Uniform Dispute
Policy. But who wins under that solution - no one. I refuse as co-chair to
adopt such a fatalistic viewpoint - unless the consensus of the group
dictates otherwise. Other ccTLDs have enacted safeguards for famous
trademark owners so I fail to see why this group of participants (with
impressive credentials) cannot reach an intelligent well thought out
compromise.

To follow-up on an issue raised by Dennis with regard to the group's focus
on protecting trademarks above religions, etc. I guess the question is
rather simple. On a global basis, reaching a consensus on economic issues is
much easier to do than on religious ones. I believe this fact is evidenced
by the large number of signatories to the various international treaties
regarding intellectual property.

We as a group have the ability to make a positive constructive impact.
Otherwise we collectively will be forced to traverse an uncharted mind field
of clue.com and candyland.com case law.

As always, I welcome any input - positive or negative. Who said building a
consensus was easy :)

Votebot testing is currently underway. Should be operational by Friday.

P.S. Thanks for the civilized nature of the list to date. Let's keep up the
good work.