Re: [wg-b] notification as compromise?

Kathy is correct. There are existing, reasonably-priced services that provide the
same level of notification proposed by Schwimmer without the cost and regulatory
headaches of attempting to re-engineer DNS administration.

Also, commercial registries (if ICANN allows them to exist) have a direct
economic incentive to sell that service to trademark holders who are willing to
pay for it. I could say more about this but I am constrained by a NDA.

The availability of commercial monitoring and protection services is an extremely
important point. The trademark-domain name issue has never been about whether or
not trademarks will be protected. Never. It has always been about who will assume
the economic responsibility for protection. In institutional economics this is
called the "distribution of transaction costs." While the TM/IP interests had
some grounds for complaining that it was unfair to incur tens of thousands of
dollars in costs to combat garden-variety cybersquatting, once a UDRP with
"complete and accurate contact information" is in place the whole economic
equation changes in their favor dramatically. The TM/IP constituency could take a
huge step toward convincing the rest of the Internet community of their
reasonableness and willingness to compromise by abandoning famous marks
exlcusions entirely, contingent upon an acceptable UDRP. Failure to do this will
harden attitudes on UDRP and in other areas.

--
m i l t o n   m u e l l e r // m u e l l e r @ s y r . e d u
syracuse university          http://istweb.syr.edu/~mueller/