Re: The Fame Claim List -was [wg-b] notification as compromise?

> The primary advantage of immediate notification to the DN owner of the TM
> owner's claim, is that it can make a more informed decision (and resolve a
> dispute) before it has sunk money into the name.  The notification to the
> TM owner is a secondary aspect to this - the cost of a cc on the email to
> the DN registrant is minimal and there is a benefit but to me, putting the
> DN registrant on notice is the primary rationale - and much more useful
> than a passive whois (see Roeland Meyers' post), as it is evidence of
> actual notice.

from my layperson's view, this seems to make some sense.  but i wonder/worry
about a few things.

how will marks be automatically regognized and judged whether they are
commercial and likely infringing?  e.g. smuppets.com, the southern methodist
university pet owners club.

and i worry about the legitimate and small user receiving a chilling letter
which may not be justified.

randy