From: d3nnis [mailto:d3nnis@mciworld.com]
Sent: Monday, September 06, 1999 7:52 AM
To: Cade,Marilyn S - LGA; 'd3nnis'; Harald Tveit Alvestrand; Martin B.
Schwimmer; wg-b@dnso.org
Subject: Re: [wg-b] Preliminary Questions

Hi Marilyn --

Thanks for replying.  Yes, if this idea was yours, you deserve a prize,
IMHO.

(For some reason, my posts haven't gotten thru in the past, so my apologies
for the delay in
responding.)

I really do believe that trademark holders would receive more protection
from a simple warning
mechanism than they would from a registration-blocking mechanism.  It would
allow non-exact matches to trigger a warning.

In addition, non-commercial domain name registrants like myself would
receive a modicum of protection and fair warning in the form of an alert
that said "if you're going to use this domain name, you'd better educate
yourself as to the legal restrictions imposed on you by applicable trademark
legislation and
case law."

One concern I have, also, is restricting this warning method to "Famous
Marks" only.  The Famous Marks concept was a necessary attempt to protect
foreign trademark holders who might need trademark protection in another
country.  Since cyberspace is by definition transborder space, all
trademarks are in jeopardy of encroachment.  So why not permit all of them
to participate in this mechanism?