[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[wg-a] Progress Report
- To: "'email@example.com'" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [wg-a] Progress Report
- From: Dr Victoria Carrington <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:01:49 -0400
- Cc: "'firstname.lastname@example.org'" <email@example.com>, "'firstname.lastname@example.org'" <email@example.com>, "'firstname.lastname@example.org'" <email@example.com>, "'firstname.lastname@example.org'" <email@example.com>, "'firstname.lastname@example.org'" <email@example.com>, "'firstname.lastname@example.org'" <email@example.com>
- Cc: "'firstname.lastname@example.org'" <email@example.com>, "'firstname.lastname@example.org'" <email@example.com>, "'mpartridge@Pattishall.com'" <mpartridge@Pattishall.com>, "'firstname.lastname@example.org'" <email@example.com>, "'firstname.lastname@example.org'" <email@example.com>, "'firstname.lastname@example.org'" <email@example.com>
- Cc: "'firstname.lastname@example.org'" <email@example.com>, "'W.Black@nominet.org.uk'" <W.Black@nominet.org.uk>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
To all WG-A Group Leaders and members:
(I apologize in advance if everyone receives 2 copies of this message - we are not sure if this account is on the wg-a mailing list...I'll ask Victoria to check)
I am writing to you to request a progress report re: how everyone is getting along in their various subgroups. I note that so far there have been a considerable number of messages from people seeking to switch groups, additional people wanting to join subgroups, dialogue respecting the criteria for joining, and it seems that there is starting to be some confusion as to who is in which subgroup due to people signing on, (or wanting to sign on) simultaneously to different subgroups.
Confusion of any sort is only going to make this difficult job even more difficult, so I would ask that all Subgroup Leaders send in a brief message today or tomorrow if possible, indicating where they stand with their subgroup members, who actually is in their subgroup, who they have managed to contact thus far, whether a dialogue has been established, whether they think progress is being made, etc. (ie agenda and timetable)
It would be useful if we could again compile a master list of everyone working in WG A and the subgroups they are (or think they are) in, so that we're all on the same page, and since the orginal list that I circulated may changed somewhat.
I would also reiterate to those who have not really begun to participate yet, that unfortunately we do not have the luxury of delay in this process due to the very short time limit imposed on us. Anyone realizing that they cannot participate as fully as required in this WG could perhaps consider joining one of the others where the deadlines are less strict (ie more reasonable!).
I would also direct the observation about lack of time and the need to get going to those who are still ambivalent as to which subgroup they are working on - again I fully understand that not everyone was assigned to the particular sub-group they were the most interested in, however we simply do not have time to argue over this now - it is open to everyone to submit their comments to every other subgroup, therefore no one is precluded from expressing their views on any subject. Amadeu has also suggested that we should limit ourselves to working on one subgroup, and I support this position.
I also have an increasing concern about the lack of time that we have to do all this, which is one that I am sure you all share, especially that it is being compounded by people's various concerns about subgroup membership, criteria for adding additional members, the ongoing dialog about the role of the GA etc.
I have pointed out to the ICANN Board the significant difficulties caused by the deadline we have been given which is arguably unreasonable and quite disproportionate to the magnitude of the task we have been charged with. I have noted to them that insisting on such a short deadline has an extremely negative effect on the general perception of our work, since it opens the door to accusations (which have already started) that we are not sufficiently open and that the process is rigged. There is a further serious concern that the thoroughness of our work is jeopardized simply because we do not have enough time to do the job properly. The legitimacy of our work may therefore be compromised, as may be any final decision ICANN will make based on our recommendations.
In view of these concerns, I have asked the ICANN Board for an extension of time to properly conclude our work, but we shouldn't assume that we will get it. For the time being, I regret that I just have to ask everyone to go forward with their subgroups and report in. I thank everyone for their efforts to date in what is undoubtedly a very difficult task.