Re: ICANN Berlin meeting Remote Simultaneous Translation Project

>> Well, since this is going out to public lists, it's now a public
>> request. If anyone has equipment and/or bandwidth that they are
>> willing to let us use May 25-26, please let Michael and I know. PCs
>> running RealEncoder software should be in the same physical location
>> as the translators; the RealServers need to be close in network-hop
>> terms but not physically.
>
>Yes, that's right. Perhaps you could write up a short tech
>requirement spec sheet, which we'll distribute, specifying minimum
>PC and server requirements (CPU speed, RAM, PC-to-Realsever
>distance, bandwidth, etc.). Also: Can Berkman supply software?

Let me run some tests with different configurations of our equipment. I'll put together such a document and release it to the lists.

As for software, it's all available free from Real (www.real.com). You need two pieces of software, Basic Server and RealEncoder. The encoder digitizes the incoming signal; Basic Server software allows 25 outgoing streams of that signal.

>I'm adding some mailing lists to the addresses (ALCI $ ENREDO, the
>Latin American lists, as well as the IFWP, AIP, IETF, and TERENA
>lists). Any further suggestions on how to advertise properly will be
>appreciated. Also, I've given this a name - the Remote Simultaneous
>Translation Project (RSTP) - so we'll all know what we're talking
>about, okay?

Sounds good. I hope that all those lists are okay with this use of their forums!
And thus, RSTP is added to the Internet Acronym Soup (IAS). :-)
Antoun Nabhan            * "To understand privacy, one must first
anabhan@law.harvard.edu  * understand shame"      - Janna Malamud-Smith
Berkman Center for       * Register for "Privacy in Cyberspace":
 Internet & Society      *    http://eon.law.harvard.edu/privacy