NSI and Ivan Pope: some disclosure

Did I fail to sell or did NSI fail to buy?

I was approached first by your bankers, Paine Webber, who I met in New York
with Bob Korzenewski. A sequence of discussions followed which culminated in
nothing at all. This was at the end of last year. I never approached NSI.
There was one sequence of discussions initiated by yourselves, not 'repeated
failed discussions'.
These discussions were conducted under NDA and I have respected that NDA.

I believe I acted in good conscience throughout. I have a duty to my
shareholders and I have to take seriously offers to buy. Chris Clough may
want to make it seem like I tried to sell. Sure, I was interested, but I
never started the discussions. The discussions were serious (at least on my
part). NetNames was represented by Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich, Rosati from
the West Coast.

I had extensive discussions with NSI's bankers and with Gabe Battista, Bob
Korzenewski, Don Telage and many others. My view throughout was that I would
only do a deal if I thought it would result in a significant shift in NSI's
attitude and policy towards the Internet. I think that was honorable.

I think the fact that NSI initiated the discussions and would have locked me
in to any agreement gives me credibility both as a competitor and as an
executive within the industry.

I learned a lot during my discussions with the executives of NSI and I
remember many conversations. Lots of them were hardly complementary about
your then CEO or about your current CTO. I have documentation of course
about the discussions. And WSGR of course have their own records.

Chris, I think your message of yesterday speaks volumes. You call for
disclosure. I know a lot more, but always assumed that NSI would not want it
disclosed.

Your attempts to damage me are doomed to fail. I have worked in the
interests of the Internet, my company and my employees since the beginning
of the eighties. I believe that the Internet is stronger than any company,
however hard they work against that.

It will be interesting to see where it all goes from here.

Ivan Pope
Founder and CEO, NetNames International