Re: PAB comments on DNSO application

Sorry not to get to this sooner...

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 04:40:27AM +0100, Sascha Ignjatovic wrote:
[...]

> please allowe me a question-wich comes out of my ignorence
>
> can you shortly explain  the fact that..

[...]

> Q: how initial members into one constituency comes in first place

The "bootstrap problem" is generic to the formation of any
organization.  In this case it isn't completely specified, but is
left to the "initial Names Council", as described in the following paragraph:

  "Within four weeks after acceptance by the Corporation of this
  application, the Names Council shall form itself initially by means
  of a meeting of representatives of all entities that have
  subscribed to the application in the form in which it is accepted
  by the Corporation.  The meeting shall select an Initial Names
  Council that shall have only the power to establish procedures for
                                            ************************
  the formation of the constituencies, the assessment of fees for the
  ***********************************
  start-up process and such further administrative steps as are
  necessary to form the DNSO."

Note the underlined section

> Q: how it will be asured that say some registries comes together into
>    initial constituency-how ever
>    and descide they want nobody else to become a member and make some
>    membership rules wich are hard to meet or unfair..what ever..
>    -this is only a example  nothing against registries :-)

The following clause (III A) addresses that point:

  "The processes of the Names Council (and the processes of each
  constituency) shall be governed by the same provisions for open and
  transparent non-discriminatory processes as those of the Board of
  the Corporation.  A general mechanism for review of conflicts and
  grievances will be developed.  This mechanism shall include the
  appointment, from time to time, if supported by an affirmative vote
  of one third of the Names Council, of a Fair Hearing Panel."

> in the further section it says
>

> B.  MEMBERSHIP IN THE CONSTITUENCIES:
>
> The constituencies described herein are an initial set of
> constituencies.  The DNSO and the Names Council will develop fair and
> open procedures for the creation, deletion, and merger of
> constituencies; and adjustment of the representation of
> constituencies on the Names Council.
>
>     [COMMENT: there has been some discussion for mechanisms for doing
>     this, but the issues are fairly complex.  Several points:
>

> it says
>
> The DNSO and the Names Council will develop fair and
> open procedures for the creation, deletion, and merger of
> constituencies;
>
> but not how you it will handle the membership befor the "membership" set
> rules for the membership for its constituency...

As mentioned above, the "initial Names Council" will be in charge of
that.

> may be that this questions makes no sense or are rather already answered
> or the time is not yet to asnwer them  but i place them anyhow...
>
> thanks
> sascha
>
> ps.you sayed in your comment that you would on weekend comment more on..
>
>     [COMMENT: The "non-commercial" constituency has been added, and
>     the "At-Large" constituency has been removed.
>
>     and will write more on the isue of individual membership wich could
>     requayer a new and separate constituency for it as it may be proposed
>     by the than name council or icann itself

Yes, I am still working on that.  Lot's of other things pressing on my
time at the moment, though...

--
Kent Crispin, PAB Chair				"Do good, and you'll be
kent@songbird.com				lonesome." -- Mark Twain