Re: [IFWP] RE: Trademarks vs DNS

At 11:35 PM 2/14/99 -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:

>Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>
>> Martin makes a really good case for enforcing TLD charters. NSI has allowed
>> them to erode simply because the TLD  space has been frozen. Do you think
>> enforced TLD charters would help in reducing this trademark pressure?
>
>Enforced by whom? Enforced how?

First, let's deal with the feature then let's deal with the how. IMHO, it
is useless to discuss implementation of something when it hasn't yet been
determined that it is useful/desirable.
I am simply asking if this would be an effector in the case of trademarks.
I have heard from one attorney that it _may_ be useful. My own reasoning
posits that this may be correct. Implementation discussion may be
premature, however. Desireability has not yet been shown.
I am still going through the back-trail to see what Martin Schwemmer has
saidd about it.
Roeland M.J. Meyer -
e-mail:                                      mailto:rmeyer@mhsc.com
Internet phone:                                hawk.lvrmr.mhsc.com
Personal web pages:             http://staff.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:                           http://www.mhsc.com
                       KISS ... gotta love it!