Re: RFC 1591 and ccTLD's (was Draft new draft)

This is now all the more pressing as we see what ICANN has in mind for
Registration, Certification, and Regulation of the entire Registrar
and Registry Industry, World Wide!

Yes, I know, ICANN has not exactly made it known that this is really
what they have in mind, but they also have not disavowed it either.

So, given all that I know about what is going on here, I strongly
suspect that the ICANN plan is to expand the controls being applied to
NSI registrars to all registries and registrars, such that no one can
get a DNS name at the TLD, or SLD, (or 3LD if that is the leel where
registrations are sold).

So, I see ICANN using "The need to control the NSI Monopoly" to impose
monopoly regulation to the entire DNS!

Be sure to read those certification requirements very carefully.

Cheers...\Stef

>From your message Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:57:16 -0500:}

}I have argued in the past that the creation of new gTLDs is of critical
}importance precisely because some ccTLDs are so limited.  There are many in
}which you cannot register a name if you are a natural person (instead of a
}business), and some have restrictions where you can't get a name unless you
}are a customer of the phone company.  Therefore, *visibility* on the net,
}for many people, depends on open and accessible gTLDs.
}
}Antony
}
}P.S. Yes, RFC 1591 dates from 1994, and is out of date.  Yes, changes could
}be made.  No, it does not need to be jettisoned in favor of a vague and
}worrisome and wholly new principle of sovereignty.  The RFC should be used
}as a starting point from which to move forward in the DNSO, and until such
}time as it is modified it should continue to be recognized.
}
}
}[Einar wrote]
}> >So, before the roof caves in, we all need to be very careful to
}> >preserve our rights to use non-ccTLD DNS names, adn we have to be
}> >careful to avoid governments' capture of control of ICANN or the DNSO.
}> >
}> >It is already disurbing to see the current trends in the situation.
}> >
}[Joop wrote]
}> Yes. It is worrying.  I am afraid that Anthony, William and others are
}> sticking their head in the sand on this point.  Maybe this comes
}> from being
}> based in the U.S., where the trend is less visible. Kent is more realistic
}> in this respect.
}> New, free, self-governed gTLD's are of critical importance. Self-governed
}> ccTLD's need to be 100% above suspicion in order to escape from being
}> regulated.
}> RFC 1591 dates from 1994.   Things are changing fast.
}
}