Re: Draft New Draft

On 11-Feb-99 Joop Teernstra wrote:
>  This is what Roger Hicks (a former councillor) said last year: (see
>  dejaNews)
>  ****************
> |>
>  (another member)
> |> No it hasn't.  There is no legislation or regulation in place covering
> |> the management of the DNS in NZ.  There may well be a number of rteasons
> |> for this but I imagine one is that it has never occurred to them to do
> |> so, and also that they have not percieved 'market failure' - which these
> |> days is about the only reason this particular Government brings in
> |> regulation.
>
>  In the early days of ISOCNZ being involved with the policies for the .nz
>  domain I had some informal discussions with relevant concerning the
>  interests and role of the NZ Government and was clearly given the message
>  that it was an industry issue.
>
>  Regards
>  R.
>  **************************************
>
>  Mind you, New Zealand is exceptional in its official fervor to keep
>  Government (officially) out of interfering in the market, all the while
>  maintaining old-style producer boards for agricultural commodities.

I admire NZ for it's stand on government regulation of industry, and it is an
example for others to follow.

However, they have the sovereign right to legislate a change if they so choose.

The language about sovereignty that has been presented on this forum however,
would serve only to permit bureaucratic levell control, without legislation to
authorize such industry regulation.

If that language MUST be included, it should be clearly stated that this does
not mean that an agency of the government cannot assert authority without
legislative authorization according to the laws in their nation.

Without the limitation, it is wide open for so many abuses and the introduction
of instability into the operation of these ccTLDs, that it becomes a show
stopper.

I can't help but wonder if this is the intention of CORE, to introduce
instability to the ccTLD community and thus making any TLDs they may end up
managing that much more attractive over ccTLDs.

E-Mail: William X. Walsh <william@dso.net>
Date: 11-Feb-99
Time: 03:55:35
"We may well be on our way to a society overrun by hordes
of lawyers, hungry as locusts."
- Chief Justice Warren Burger, US Supreme Court, 1977