RE: Draft New Draft

Kent,

I couldn't agree with you more that a discussion on what Postel thought or
not would be entirely counterproductive, and beside the point as well.  And
you're right that our pea brains (or mine at least) are unlikely ever to
match his.

When you assert that "*Somebody* decides what the terms mean", however, we
must part ways, because I get the feeling you want it always to be the same
somebody -- or at least, only two somebodies -- ICANN or a national
government.

First of all, I don't see why anyone should impose a meaning on these terms
unless and until  there is a compelling reason (for instance, a conflict)
that somebody should.  (The fact that a couple of hundred people are trying
to form a DNSO, for instance, doesn't strike me as a good enough reason to
try to define "community" for everyone on the Internet.)  The meanings of
terms like "community" are shifting sands, implying one thing in one region,
referring to something else in another.  We should not attempt to prejudge
this or try to make a one-size-fits-all policy.  Most especially we should
not, in the frame of a debate that has been for years essentially confined
to gTLDs, try to shoehorn ccTLDs into a mold into which they do not fit.

Are the terms vague in RFC 1591?  Yes, they are.  I suspect that there were
reasons for that, and one of them may have been that it's dangerous to try
to fix meaning to a subject whose terms of reference vary so widely from
place to place and time to time.  As you said, "Personally, I think [Postel]
had a much more complex view of the Internet community than you realize."

Antony