RE: Draft New Draft

Esther,

Much of any application to become the DNSO is political, especially when it
comes down to enumerating consituencies and assigning powers.  These are
purely procedural in one sense, but highly political in another.  As a sort
of backward proof, if it weren't political, why would people be fighting
over it?

It has been a favorite mechanism of establishments for a long time to
enshrine some power in a "mechanism" and then claim that it is the mechanism
that "forces" them to do something, that it has nothing to do with politics.
A good example of this practice at the moment is NSI's insistence on the
sanctity of its contracts with end-users, as if the contracts were not
simply an instrument of bending users to NSI's wishes, and as if these
contracts were not in fact changeable at will, e.g. upon renewal.

So, while I would agree with you and Kent that it would be nice to have a
DNSO with completely neutral mechanisms and procedures, it is hardly
possible.

Antony