Re: ICANN & DNSO

We'll be posting the two DNSO proposals we received for public comment on
our Website today, along with the much-awaited proposed accreditation
guidelines for the shared registry system - also for public comment.  That's
as a prelude to the open meeting and our baord meeting in Singapore.

What do we do with the two proposals?  We try to figure out how to get you
all to merge them into something that satisfies most people, without us
dictating the terms.  February 5 was a real date, in terms of formal filing
of proposals. But there's a month (roughly) for public comment which all
(including the Initial Board) can participate in.  Subsequent compromise
wording, expressions of support, and the like  all matter in the Initial
Board's decision.

Esther Dyson

At 06:52 AM 08/02/99 -0500, Andrew Q. Kraft, MAIP, Executive Director wrote:
>Esther,
>
>I am writing to ask you a two brief but important questions:
>
>1) Will there be some official notice letting those of us who submitted
>proposals (and the public) as to which proposals did make it in by the
>deadline and are thus under consideration?
>
>2) As there are at LEAST two proposals on the table (DNSO.org/INTA and the
>Paris Draft), How does ICANN plan to proceed from here?
>
>Clearly its only Monday morning here on the East Coast of the United States
>and there hasn't been a business working day since the drafts went out, but
>it would be nice to know where things stand as early this week as possible.
>
>AIP will be sending two members of our DNSO team (Chair Mitch Ahern and
>leader of our drafting team Bret Fausett) to Singapore, while I stay back to
>hold down the fort in the U.S.
>
>I hope to continue working with you and ICANN on this process moving
>forward.
>
>I look forward to your reply.
>
>Sincerely,
>Andrew Kraft
>--
>Andrew Q. Kraft, MAIP
>Executive Director, Association of Internet Professionals (AIP)
>Email:      akraft@association.org
>Phone:      310-724-6589
>More Info:  http://www.association.org/

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800
1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com

PC Forum:  21 to 24 March 1999, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
Book:  "Release 2.0: A design for living in the digital age"