RE: Draft New Draft

Hi, all.

Jay Fenello wrote:
> At 2/2/99, 10:48 AM, John Charles Broomfield wrote:
> >> As I said, difference between ccTLDs and gTLDs.  ICANN should not be in
> the
> >> business of regulating ccTLDs.
> >
> >100% with you here, but that does raise another question: If ICANN
> doesn't
> >regulate ccTLDs, who does? I know you won't like my answer, but the only
> >choice is the local government... And it might aswell be admitted as so
> >don't you think? I know you are convinced that telling the governments
> that
> >they can take control of their ccTLDs is asking for trouble, on the other
> >hand, a couple of big words talking about sovereignty gets the issue out
> of
> >the way.
>

> Hi John,
>
> In that case, I suppose that you would have no
> objections to turning over the French ccTLDs that
> you administer to the French government ;-)

IMHO, it is formally incorrect to call the DOM-TOM TLDs "French".
I assume that the "local government" is to be intended literally. For
instance, for DOMs (i.e. Overseas Departments) the Department General
Council is the government body who has authority.

In practical terms, though, you are correct, because the local DOM-TOM
governments are submitted to the authority of the French central government.

The reason why I like to make the distinction is that if the only purpose
for separate ISO-3166 (and therefore separate ccTLDs) for a specific
subdivision of a country is to identify this subdivision.
To treat .gp as an alias for .fr doesn't make sense, IMHO.

Roberto