Re: icc comments in text

Dr Lisse and all,

Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I always knew you were fast, but a full day in the future? :-)-O
>
> In message <4.2.0.19.19990119110255.00b6b4a0@shell2.bayarea.net> <4.2.0.19.1999
> 0119110255.00b6b4a0@shell2.bayarea.net>, Dave Crocker writes:
>
> > Consequently, we need to look at matters of &quot;reasonable&quot;
> > fairness and balance it against &quot;unreasonable&quot; complexity and
> > enforcement difficulty.&nbsp; Administrative difficulty is a seriously
> > non-trivial issue.<br>
> > For starters, let's note that this organization does not need to cost a
> > lot of money.&nbsp; As such, low fees should be attainable, especially if
> > a large membership is achieved.&nbsp; Then the average fee could be quite
> > low.<br>
> > A fee that is low enough does not need to be scaled according to the
> > geography or economics of individual members.<br>
> > In other words, a flat fee is likely to be both most fair and most easily
> > administered.<br>
>
> A flat fee is not fair. 50$ US is a monthly salary of a Professor in
> some African states, nevermind the difficulties of taking foreign
> exchange out of the country.
>
> However, if it is low enough, you are quite right, it doesn't matter,
> because of the administrative ease.
>
> However, *HUGE* corporates are squealing about TradeMarks and so on,
> paying *HUGE* retainers and billable hours to enforce them, and now
> want to pay a flat fee?

  Sure they do as it keeps expenses down and costs down to their
customers.  And this is indeed possible if these *HUGE* corporations
as you put it, will hire attorney's specializing in trademark law.

> If it is so important, some consideration will have to be taken.
>
> And, who guarantees the fees will remain that low?

  There are no guarantees in this world, never have been and never
will be.

> A table, such as I have proposed, or any other, will strike a balance
> between fairness and ease of administration. I would even suggest self
> assessment by the members with subsequent publishing therof.
>
> el
> --
> Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse\         /                 Swakopmund State Hospital
> <el@lisse.NA>         *        |                  Resident Medical Officer
> Private Bag 5004       \      / +264 81 1246733 (c) 64 461005(h) 461004(f)
> Swakopmund, Namibia     ;____/       Domain Coordinator for NA-DOM (el108)

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894