RE: what ICANN is up to

At 12:42 PM 1/14/99 -0500, Antony Van Couvering wrote:
>Gordon,
>
>Thanks for your research.  The whole thing is a quagmire that could be
>avoided if ICANN simply behaved like they were operating in a free
>society -- i.e., living up to their duty to be transparent.  What do I or
>anyone else care if certain board members are too thin-skinned to wade
>through hundreds of messages that are abusive or inane?   If you can't take
>the heat...
>
>The question has to be, who on earth picked such ignorant board members, who
>didn't know what they were getting into.  Or, who didn't warn them?  Here we
>see that a committment to open processes is not just lip service to a silly
>ideal, it is a practical necessity.  If these Board members had been
>selected with some input from people in the trenches, these faint-hearted
>types would have been weeded out.

Ahem, If I recall correctly, *many* in the IFWP sessions were in favor of
just such an ignorant BoD, in hopes that they wouldn't have any prejudicial
axen to grind. MHSC was not one of them, preferring known devils to unknown
ones. We got what we asked for in this case. I recal that the initial
selection was widely lauded.

>Possibly there is no legal basis for the Internet at all.  That's why I'm
>opposed to rejecting ICANN's authority on those grounds.  Something that
[...]
>bunch of government-appointed experts running the show.  This could end up
>looking like GATT.
>
>But the ICANN board does have to "get it" that open processes, public
>meetings, etc., are just part of the rules, they are not optional.  They
>should look at the gTLD-MoU as an object lesson in what will happen if they
>don't.  The involvement of the US gov't means that the process is now
>political, and if there's one thing politicians don't like, it's a group of
>unpopular eggheads.

Roeland M.J. Meyer -
e-mail:                                      mailto:rmeyer@mhsc.com
Internet phone:                                hawk.lvrmr.mhsc.com
Personal web pages:             http://staff.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:                           http://www.mhsc.com
                       KISS ... gotta love it!