Re: [ifwp] Re: Proposal for a new ORSC/DNSO project

Christopher and all,

Christopher Ambler wrote:

> >Amazon.com registered their name in an ESTABLISHED system, following the
> >procedures laid out and approved by the NSF.
>
> You're speaking of the wrong system. Amazon.com registered their name in the
> U.S. Trademark office. That's the system that counts here. That, and U.S.
> Law, which provides for immediate mark protection for use in commerce.
>
> >There are and were NO such established system for claiming TLD space, and
> NSF
> >never authorized and such procedures.  And the authority to do so rested
> soley
> >with them.
>
> I suspect I agree with you. But once such a system is created, the system I
> speak of above will come into play. Now, the question is who gets to create
> the
> system that you're talking about?

  Chris makes a good point here.  It is important to understand that
as privatizing this process it becomes very important to not only
establish WHO gets to create the system, but how as well.  In our
opinion the White Paper already established the "WHO", and also
to and extent the "HOW".  It is not up to the ICANN "Initial" and
Interim Board to determine, through the establishment of the
Individual Membership Organization in conjunction with the SO's,
and in this case the Names Supporting Organization, if they are
to be deemed expectable to the NTIA, to determine the rest of the
"HOW" through policy's voted on by these two constituencies.