Re: [ifwp] Re: Proposal for a new ORSC/DNSO project

On 04-Dec-98 Christopher Ambler wrote:
>>I did say that I don't envy ICANN the job of making that decision.  It will
> be
>>a tough one.
>>
>>And then having to justify it.....
>
> See, I don't think it's very tough at all.
>
> If I wanted "yahoo.com" at the same time that the famous search
> engine did, could I make a case for being able to run it better?

Different case completely Chris.  Yahoo.com is a domain name registered
according to accepted practices.

> If I wanted the trademark "Nike" to make shoes, could I contest
> the existing owner's claim on the grounds that I'd make cheaper
> shoes, and perhaps give them away to underprivledged
> children?

Chris, I thought better of you than to try to cloud the issue with analogies
that really do not apply.

> If Iperdome wants .per, has been participating in this process
> for 3 years now, has created infrastructure, put the name into
> commercial use, but then AT&T comes along and decides
> that they'd rather run it, all else being equal, you still say that
> it's a tough choice?

Absolutely.  Iperdome has no more right to the name that AT&T.

CORE has no more right to .web than IOD does, which is to say, none.

William X. Walsh (WXW7/WW1506)| TJ Network Services - The .TJ NIC
Network Operations            | http://tjns.tj / http://nic.tj
william@tjns.tj/william@nic.tj| Domain Names, DNS, Email,
+1-(209)-493-6144             | DynamicDNS & Web Hosting Services
Date: 03-Dec-98 / Time: 17:55:23