Re: DNSO / Fluid Constituencies

Kent Crispin wrote:
>Just a reminder: what we are preparing is an application, not
>bylaws.

Fair point. As I recall from the notes of the Monterrey meeting, however,
it appeared that there was not consensus on whether the focus at this
time should simply be on an application (in the interests of time, focus
on the most important thing first) or create an organization with bylaws
and then file the application.

My personal opinion is that filing the application is secondary to
creating a functional, complete DNSO with a well-conceived concept of
what the DNSO is and what its bylaws will be. I also suspect that the
DNSO's "application" will be more favorably received by the ICANN Board
if the application is made on behalf of a real entity governed by
established rules.

Anyway, I see no reason why the application process and bylaws process
can't proceed hand in hand. Thinking through the application requires the
same rigorous thinking required to draft the bylaws.

Bret

     Bret A. Fausett
     Fausett, Gaeta & Lund, LLP
     e-mail: baf@fausett.com