Re: [ifwp] Re: Individual DNSO Membership

Kent and all,

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 1998 at 09:03:11PM -0800, Karl Auerbach wrote:
> > > In fact, to say "one person, one vote" is rather demagogical.
> > > Most Internet users do not have the time to spend on lists and will not
> > > express any vote, which will have as a direct consequence that a small
> > > percentage of users (i.e. the ones like us, who are active on lists) will
> > > take all decisions on their behalf.
> >
> > Any individual can always listen to some sort of "leader" and direct
> > his/her vote in accord.
> >
> > When one gives votes to organizations, one necessarily removes all or
> > some of the ability of the interested and motivated individual to act as
> > that individual sees fit.
>
> That's false.  The interested and motivated individual can
> participate as an individual.  It's always individuals who do the
> participation, anyway -- when an organization joins it designates a
> representative -- who is an individual.

  Your last statement here Kent doesn't make allot os sense.  Anytime
an additional individual becomes a member or and organization that organization
is strengthened to whatever degree that individual may contribute to that
organization in many respects, not to mention voting power.

> > If there are lazy individuals, then they will either not vote or will
> > vote in accord with some instructions from some leader -- the latter
> > being essentially equivalent to an "organization" but without the need
> > to cast such into inflexible concrete.
>
> The constituencies range widely in how flexible they are.  The At
> Large constituency is open to any natural person or legally
> constituted organization.  Membership in the "registry" constituency
> requires that you be an entity with write authority over a zone
> referenced directly from the root zone.

  This would be in direct violation of the White Paper as you state it here.

> >> Of course, we can have some form of "proxy", but doesn't this lead to other,
> >> well-known, problems of "capture"?
> >
> > A permanent proxy is called an "organization".
> >
> > Temporary proxies -- usually for a fixed period of time or for a single
> > election seem to work fairly well in corporate elections.
>
> They work miserably, from my experience, and almost invariably lead to a
> "self-perpetuating board".

  This is sometimes true indeed.  However the blanket statement you make here
is logically and statistically incorrect.  Can you provide some supporting
documentation for your statement here Kent?

> > > I guess the only solution (in my opinion, of course) is to have both a
> > > "general Membership" and some established groups of interest.
> >
> > By bifurcating the votes, one gives multiple votes to those who are both
> > individuals and leaders of organizations.
>
> Nope.  If you are a member of any other constituency, you can't be a
> member of the At Large constituency.  But multiple membership in
> other constituencies is allowed.  So IBM (for example) might be a
> member of the registrar, ISP, general business, and Trademark
> constituencies.  But it can't do that and also be a member of the
> "at large" constituency.

 Ok, In you model possibly not.  Would this than restrict all of IBM's
employees from being members of an "At large" Constituency also?

> > And how does one measure the appropriate weight to build in for a
> > "special interest group"?
> >
> > There are two ways?  Guess (usually wrong) or let the weight reflect the
> > number of members who agree with the group.  The latter, of course, is
> > best measured by simply letting individuals vote and see how many accord
> > with the policies of the special interest group.
>
> The latter simply institutionalizes the "tyranny of the majority".
> A special interest group that is in the majority is, by definition,
> not really a special interest group.

  This may or may not be so Kent.  There are many examples of this
throughout history.