Re: DNSO / ICANN Funding Model Paper, Version 0.1

Chuck and all,

  Good points and questions here Chuck.  If the SO's are even partly
responsible for ICANN funding than there is certainly a conflict of interest
concern.  To many games to be played here.  The same is true with fees
as well.  No, the ICANN needs several reliable long term sources of
funding.  In our proposal to the NTIA we proposed a Trust fund, along
the lines of something that Karl A. once suggested.  We now have that
Trust built and funded.  There are also other methods a well.

Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> Why should SOs be concerned with ICANN funding?  SOs should be concerned
> with self-funding their own activities while ICANN should be concerned with
> funding its activities.  It seems to me that ICANN will enter into
> contractual relationships with registries (name and number) and will
> establish funding through those relationships.
>
> Because SOs will be making recommendations to ICANN, it seems like there
> would be a possible conflict of interest if the SOs were also funding ICANN.
>
> Chuck Gomes
>
> - huge snip -

regards,

--