ICANN/DNSO

DNSO Names Council Meeting in Marina del Rey on 14 November 2001 - minutes


23 November 2001.

revised 07 December 2001

The DNSO Names Council meeting in Marina del Rey held on Wednesday 14 November 2001, 16:00 - 18:00, [@ Catalina room] .

(10:00 LA, 13:00 New York, 17:00 UTC, 19:00 Paris, 02:00 Japan/Korea next day)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Local time between 30 October 2001 and end March 2002
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Reference (Coordinated Universal Time)     UTC         24:00
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    California, USA                            UTC-8+0DST  16:00
    Missouri, USA                              UTC-6+0DST  18:00
    Monterrey, Mexico                          UTC-6+0DST  18:00 
    Panama, Panama                             UTC-5+0DST  19:00
    Washington DC, USA                   (EST) UTC-5+0DST  19:00
    St.Thomas, Virgin Islands                  UTC-4+0DST  20:00
    Santiago, Chile                            UTC-4+1DST  21:00 
    Buenos Aires, Argentina                    UTC-3+0DST  21:00
    London, United Kingdom                     UTC+0+0DST  24:00
    Brussels, Belgium                    (CET) UTC+1+0DST  01:00 next day
    Barcelona, Spain                     (CET) UTC+1+0DST  01:00 next day
    Frankfurt, Germany                   (CET) UTC+1+0DST  01:00 next day
    Paris, France                        (CET) UTC+1+0DST  01:00 next day
    Seoul, Korea                               UTC+9+0DST   9:00 next day
    Tokyo, Japan                               UTC+9+0DST   9:00 next day
    Melbourne, Australia                      UTC+10+1DST   11:00 next day
    Auckland, New Zealand                     UTC+12+1DST   13:00 next day
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    The DST ends/starts on last Sunday of October (with some exceptions)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    For other places see http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

Agenda http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20011114.NCmdr-agenda.html

List of attendees:

   Peter de Blanc                 ccTLD
   Elisabeth Porteneuve           ccTLD
   Oscar Robles Garay             ccTLD      
   Philip Sheppard                Business
   Marilyn Cade                   Business   Proxy for Grant Forsyth  
   Antonio Harris                 ISPCP
   Greg Ruth                      ISPCP 
   Tony Holmes                    ISPCP
   Ken Stubbs                     Registrars  Proxy for Paul Kane, Erica Roberts      
   Roger Cochetti                 gTLD
   Cary Kamp                      gTLD
   Richard Tindal                 gTLD        
   Axel Aus der Muhlen            IP  Proxy for Caroline Chicoine, Guillermo Carey        
   Youn Jung Park                 NCDNH
   Vany Martinez                  NCDNH       
   Milton Mueller                 NCDNNH 
   Glen de Saint Géry             Secretary

List of absentees:

 
   Grant Forsyth                  Business   
   Caroline Chicoine              IP
Guillermo Carey IP
Erica Roberts Registrars
Paul Kane Registrars

Quorum (11) present at 16:00 Los Angeles time (UTC 24:00)

Ph. Sheppard chaired the NC meeting.

  1. Agenda Items 2, 3 and 4:
    Selection from previous ICANN agenda, issues of DNSO relevance,
    Round table on these issues
    Selection of issues/ rapporteurs to Board next day

    These items were dealt with together.

    gTLDs: Registries
    http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/mdr2001/archive/pres/rodin.html

    A blue print draft drawn up by a Task Force is now available on Security Issues - Registry failure.
    Best Practices on security and reliablity issues were consisdered.
    There will be a report back in the near future.
    Rita Rodin will report back to the board. 5 to 10 minutes.

gTLDs Registrars

The Registrars reviewed escrow and data recovery and identified certain problems.
Important issues were:
- the ability to maintain user capacity in case of catastrophy
- the ability to make sure the user was not hurt by lack of service
- service contracts
There will be a report in late January or February 2002.
Mike Palage will report to the Board. 5 to 10 minutes.

ccTLDs
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/mdr2001/archive/pres/cctld.html

Three days of meetings were held, including sessions specifically about security.
Three key areas were defined:
- Existing process of getting IANA database updated and the necessity of 24x7 live support.
- Best Practice documentation on Security
-Shared ccTLD back-up, as well as funding.
Peter de Blanc will report to the Board. 5 to 10 minutes

Business, IP and ISP constituencies (joint report)
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/mdr2001/archive/pres/sheppard.html

ISPs have different views about best practices.
Philip Sheppard will make a joint report back to the Board briefly.

In the French speaking group led by Elisabeth Porteneuve, key issues were infrastructure, redundancy and connectivity.

 

The NCDNH identified the following key issues:

- A group that represents expertise that could be drawn upon by ICANN in non-propriety matters.
- Focus on civil liberty implications and technical matters.
- Concise text archives are needed to assist developing countries and non-English speakers understand.
Milton Mueller will report back to the Board.



Overlap from Agenda Monday 12 November 2001
Agenda Item 6: Adoption of final report from the Review Task Force:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20011010.NCreview-report.html

P. Sheppard reported that the drafting meeting held to resolve minor text differences revealed some more fundamental issues. The Review Task Force will review this issue and report back to the December meeting.

Agenda Item 9:
WhoIs:
Marilyn Cade reported that 3000 responses have been received, 14 questions with narrative replies, and all members of the Task Force have read the answers in a first cut.

It is important to remember that this is an anecdotal survey of a self selected group of how people who use WhoIs react and not a statistical survey.
A written preface to the survey will be done to explain this
.
It does not deal with new gTLDs
The data will be publically available.
A report will be out by the Ghana meeting.

ADDED TO THE MINUTES:

Milton Mueller of the NCDNHC asked that the survey data be made available to the public prior to the Task Force report. 'Open sourcing' the data would allow academics and other researchers to contribute automated content analysis and other techniques to the interpret ation of the data

UDRP:
http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20011107.UDRP-Review-Questionnaire.html

The UDRP Questionnaire is posted on the DNSO website and the deadline for comments is 17th December 2001.
The NC agreed on the need to encourage a broad set of responses.

Structure task force:
The Chair proposed the NC make a short motion in support of the ALSC report giving notice that the NC or the constituencies will be commenting on detail later and laying down a marker for further DNSO involvement.

Motion:

Proposed by Philip Sheppard and seconded by Antonio Harris:

Whereas the At-Large Study Committee (ALSC) has issued its report dated November 5, 2001,

Whereas discussion on specific proposals within this report are now happening within DNSO Constituencies,

Whereas the Names Council has held initial discussions at two meetings,

The Names Council recommends that the ICANN Board look favourably at the broad principles outlined in the report and that the Board endorses the ALSC's proposal to extend the life of the committee until March 2002 in order to allow the ALSC to work with the DNSO and other parties towards implementation mechanisms.

Decision D1: Motion adopted and passed unanamously.

Ken Stubbs left the meeting at 17.10 and gave his proxies to Roger Cochetti.

ICANN TLD's:
http://www.icann.org/committees/ntepptf


YJ Park reported on the Board committee set up to propose evaluation criteria for new TLDs.
Conclusions to date are:

- debate on the kind of criteria
- different timeline for different TLDs
- parallel evaluation tracts for different TLDs
- specification of the multilingual aspect
An interim report has been published for public comments, the period closing on 17 December 2001.
A final report will be published and presented at the Ghana meetings.

 

ADDED TO THE MINUTES:

A discussion was held regarding whether the recommendations of the new TLD evaluation criteria Task Force was straying into making policy recommendations.

AOB:

Roger Cochetti moved a motion seconded by Peter de Blanc

That authorisation be be given for the payment of $30 000 to AFNIC being an agreed charge of $5000 per month from April to September 2001 and moves that council approves this payment.

Decision D2:

Motion adopted by all but one. Elisabeth Porteneuve abstained.

The meeting adjourned at 18.00 Los Angeles time.


Information from:
DNSO Names Council

 








AAn ansd iihiuhhughjvgAn inetrim report has been