ICANN/DNSO

DNSO Names Council, 2 June 2001, Stockholm, Sweden - minutes


5 June 2001

Chairman’s summary of action items from the Names Council meeting Stockholm 2 June 2001

This summary complements the real time scribe notes -

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/stockholm/archive/scribe-nc-060201.html

and after adoption becomes the authoritative record of the meeting.

Present:

Member

Constituency

Proxies

Philip Sheppard

Business

 

Theresa Swinehart

Business

 

Grant Forsyth

Business

 

Caroline Chicoine

IP

Via phone

Axel aus der Muhlen

IP

Via phone

Guillermo Carey

IP

Via phone

YJ Park

Non Comm

 

Vany Martinez

Non Comm

 

Milton Mueler

Non Comm

 

Ken Stubbs

Registrars

 

Erica Roberts

Registrars

Paul Kane

Paul Kane

Registrars

 

Peter de Blanc

cc TLDs

 

Elisabeth Porteneuve

cc TLDs

 

Oscar Robles

cc TLDs

 

Tony Harris

ISPs

 

Greg Ruth

ISPs

 

Tony Holmes

ISPs

 

Roger Cochetti

g TLDs

 

Rosa Delgado

g TLDs

 

Richard Tindal

g TLDs

 

 

 

Update on business plan

1. UDRP

The NC will be presented with a formal recommendation of the interim group in a few days. The essence of a draft being finalised is to establish an expert group of UDRP participants (ie a complainant, a respondent, a panelist from each provider, a representative from each provider, and a member of each Constituency). The group would create a public questionnaire and review the results (as well as any third party studies such as Max Planck Institute). The group would prepare a report identifying those issues that need to be addressed and propose means to do so. The idea would be to have the report by LA.

2. WhoIs

A survey is written and will be on ICANN web site 6 June — 31 July. Multi-lingual versions. WhoIs committee will review results and report at Montevideo.

3. Internationalised names

The interim identified the need for a report and proposed a deadline for a final report in June 2002. In recognition of the Board desire for earlier input, it was agreed to look at co-ordinating the NC and Board timetables.

It was agreed to establish a IDN Task Force with a representative of each constituency and to tackle action items by tasking individual or groups within the TF. TF will elect a chair. Nominations from constituencies within 7 days. The Interim review committee has completed its work and is dissolved.

4. Review.

Consultation. Business plan reference 6.2. Review the recommendations of WG D and the Review Task Force and Working Group Report and implement a means of outreach and stakeholder consultation with built-in mechanisms for fulfilling the objectives.

ACTION: Accept the framework proposed by WG-D as is, and turn the WG D procedures into a sharper set of guidelines. Give it a chance to work, if it doesn't, then take steps to make alternative proposals. Related to this, determine alternatives to conducting working group activities, such as using web-based fora where proposed text is actively amended and worked on towards consensus. The GA Chair has agreed to help with web based fora.

GA Chair. 6.3. Review the current system of election for the General Assembly Chair and propose changes if required.

ACTION: Form a small group (or include in a possible implementation task force mandate) to report on the current system of elections for the GA chair, and assess whether changes are beneficial or required.

Individuals Constituency. 6.4. Clarify the process for the creation of new constituencies and recommend to the NC a set of test criteria which may include need, uniqueness, potential contribution and representiveness.

ACTION: The interim review group stated that there is strong support for an individuals constituency. The outstanding issue is next steps. Form a task force (7 constituencies) to set the criteria for a new constituency (reviewing work already done on the call for an individuals constituency and consolidating it into a proposal).

Language diversity. 6.5 Recommend cost effective means to provide language diversity in the context of DNSO decisions.

ACTION: Form a small group (3-5) who may co-opt translation experts to make recommendations. Determine costs, and next steps to implement a cost effective means to provide translations.

Consensus. 6.6 Recommend to the NC a practical definition of consensus for the purposes of NC consultation activities.

ACTION: Form a task force (7 constituencies) to review consensus models used elsewhere and outline practical definition.

It was agreed to establish a Review Task Force with a representative of each constituency and to tackle the action items by tasking individual or groups within the TF. NC chair to chair, GA chair or nominee present. Nominations from constituencies within 7 days. The Interim review committee has completed its work and is dissolved.

5. GA

The GA chair addressed the NC and confirmed that the GA is available for consultation about DNSO issues. The GA will continue to bring new issues to NC’s attention.

6. TLDs

The NC heard short presentations from dot biz http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/icann/stockholm/archive/neuman-dotbiz.html

and dot info. Dot biz hope that future contract negotiations would be simpler and quicker.

The NC will review the Board proposal for an evaluation group, review the gTLD proposal and decide next steps at the next meeting.

 

7. Multiple roots.

Decision 1.

"The NC resolves that Multiple roots are outside the scope of the ICANN DNSO."

The resolution carried by 13 votes in favour, 1 against, 7 abstentions.

(Yes: P. Sheppard, T. Swinehart, G. Forsyth, E. Porteneuve, R. Cochetti, R. Delgado, R. Tindal, P. Kane, K. Stubbs, E. Roberts, YJ. Park, M. Mueller, V. Martinez; Abstentions: C. Chicoine, A. aus der Muhlen, P. de Blanc, O. Robles, T. Harris, T. Holmes, G. Ruth; No: G. Carey)

(Following press coverage implying NC disinterest, in a later statement to the Board the NC Chair said that by this the NC is signalling that the issue is for now outside the scope of the DNSO but that the NC may revisit the issue should multiple roots lead to significant collisions within the DNS.)

 

8. Dot org

In light of a pending Board referral on the divestment of the dot org registry, the constituencies (and GA) are asked to discuss and inform NC of their views.

Timeline: First views to NC meeting of 29 June.

NC draft recommendation by NC meeting 16 August.

Final recommendation by September (Montevideo) for consolidated view.

9. IDNs

Decision 2.

"The NC Recommends that ICANN encourage ccTLD and gTLD Registries to delay the deployment of resolution of IDNs until such time as the IETF has met in August where it is expected a standards document for IDNs will be agreed."

The recommendation carried by 14 votes in favour, 1 against, 4 abstentions (and 2 missing votes).

(Yes: P. Sheppard, T. Swinehart, G. Forsyth, E. Porteneuve, P. de Blanc, O. Robles, R. Delgado, R. Tindal, P. Kane, K. Stubbs, E. Roberts, YJ. Park, V. Martinez, A. aus der Muhlen; Abstentions: M. Mueller, T. Harris, T. Holmes, G. Ruth; No: R. Cochetti; Missing: C. Chicoine, G. Carey.)

 

10. Housekeeping.

The Budget Committee has completed the MOU with ICANN.

The Budget Committee will call for voluntary funds now.

The Search Committee will call for secretariat services (information management + technical support) against the following timeline: call June 5, preliminary evaluation June 25, recommendation to NC June 30, appointment July 7, signing July 14, transition by 30 August.

Decision 3.

The NC authorises the Budget Committee to pay AFNIC for secretarial services at the existing monthly rate for a period of up to a further three months.

The motion carried by 16 votes in favour, 0 against, 5 abstentions.

(Yes: P. Sheppard, T. Swinehart, G. Forsyth, P. de Blanc, O. Robles, R. Cochetti, R. Delgado, R. Tindal, K. Stubbs, E. Roberts, A. aus der Muhlen, C. Chicoine, G. Carey, T. Harris, T. Holmes, G. Ruth; Abstentions: E. Porteneuve, P. Kane, M. Mueller, YJ. Park, V. Martinez)

11. DNSO Board election.

Amadeu Abril i Abril’s tenure ends in September. The NC is urged to propose candidates for the election which will take place in September with a view to the new member being in place for October. The Secretariat will make the formal call.

 

Philip Sheppard

NC Chair


Information from:
DNSO Names Council