[comments-gtlds] .Web Domain Name

Sir/Madam,

  I am writing to urge approval of a new .web global top level domain.  I am an intellectual
property attorney who represents start up "dot com" businesses.

  My clients require brandable domain names, and the good .com domain names are already
taken.

  From my years of intellectual property law experience, I believe that .web is the most
brandable gtld -- more so than .biz, ..co, shop, .store, or .bank.  My opinion is based on the
following factors:

        (1) .biz, .co, .shop and .store all sound too commercially oriented.
        The .com appeal is going to wear off, and there is tremendous good will
        built up concerning the word "web".  .Web is thus an excellent brand
        name for any business.

        (2)  .Co would be confused in many consumers' minds with a country
        tld, being only 2 letters and ambiguous.

        (3)  .Web would be clearly distinct from .net in consumers' minds, as
        .net is short for a longer word, internet.  On the other hand, "web" is
        short for "world wide web", the graphical portion of the internet.
         "Web" is a very hot marketing term, and many companies have named
         themselves or there products using "web" (e.g. webpc, webex, etc.).

         (4)  There are many dictionary terms and soon-to-be-added phrases
         incorporating "web":  Web-enabled, Web-based, Webcasts, etc.

         And (5) .Web has been mentioned by virtually every expert who has
         discussed the gtld issue in print.  It is widely accepted as a good, solid gtld.

   Please feel free to contact me should you have any questions concerning the
above-referenced matter.

D. Alexander Floum, Esq.

Sent by Law  Mail