[comments-gtlds] The Key point - How to introduce new gTLDs.

In first place, I'd like to express that the Chair (not co-chair) of the
WG-C, Jon Weinberg has done a very good job and this theme which seemed to
fall in the darkness last year is in a good way.

In the report of the chair we can show the 2 most importants compromises.
New gTLDs and create both chartered and open gTLDs.

I really believe that chatered gTLDs is the solution to the current
problems. If we want to increase de possibilities of register a domain to
every body we have to create domains with especific purposes.

We can create .sports o .deportes but what is the advantage if everybody
who doesn't have any interest related with the sports can register a domain
under this TLD. The price of the register is falling and the lawyers are
more involved in this theme. Then all the great companies can pay the
domains under every TLD and the pressure that exists today over .com
could be extended to the new TLDs independently of the quantity of new TLDs.

But I accept the position of a lot of people who think that we need both,
open and restricted TLDs. May be the people who think like me (and me) are
wrong and it seems that it could be a good compromise.

So, to achieve the goals that we are trying to get, we need that at least
the half of the new TLDs should be chartered, but not only non-commercial
TLDs should be chartered.
Why NIKE should register a domain under .airlines and why United should
register under .sports if maybe there is a  sport company called UNITED who
are waiting the opportunity to have a good domain name.

But, the most important point to discuss is how to introduce new gTLDs.

A very small group of WG-C participants voted in march about this point. As
the chair said in the report, the small number of voters donīt let us get a
consensus in this point.

I'd like to focus my comments here.

The conclusion was that Registries should apply including the justification
of the TLD.

I think that it is wrong and a great mistake.
In first place, we have to create mechanism which allow anybody purpose the
creation of a new TLD and not reserve this possibility only to the
registries or candidates to be registries.

In second place, those who purpose a "good" TLD are not necessarely  the
most qualified to be the registries.

This is more clear in the chartered TLD's case. In those cases, the
proposal of charter should be one key element to be considered by the board
to select a registry. Therefore, anybody can suggest the creation of a new
TLD with its objectives.

Those who want to apply to be the registry of the new chartered TLD should
explain in their applications how they plan to work to achieve the
objectives of the new TLD.

Therefore my position is:

- OK. New TLDs.
- OK. Both chartered and open TLDs. But the same quantity of each type.
- ICANN (the board, the NC and/or a committee) should select the string
through a mechanism to be implemented and call for applications for
registries (at least in the chartered TLDs' cases)

SCHEME            We thought that the creation of new gTLD's doesn't make
sense
if the owners of the most important trademarks regitrate them under every
gTLD's. Low prices open the way to speculate (even more) with the new space.
            On that way, we are not solving the problem, and we are
compromising competitiveness of ccTLDs, which are very important for ours
countries. We do not agree in putting in risk the growth and stability of
ours ccTLDs if there is not a clear benefit, at least a well definedframework.
In this sense we propose:
   1) Any person or organization may propose the creation of new gTLD's.
   2) To be considered the proposal must have the support of a predefined
amount of people or organizations.
   3) the  presentation of the proposal forced the board of the ICANN to
consider the opportunity or not to create this new gTLD.
   4) Once approved by the board of the ICANN the creation of the new gTLD
by procedures and support levels previously defined by the board, the ICANN
will open a public call to choose the registries(ars) for the new gTLD. The
organizations who apply must be organizations without profit aims although
they can have commercial objectives as the commerce chambers or non-profit
association of industralists. The reason for this is that the existence,
essence and stability of the new gTLD must relay on the contribution that
the new gTLD does to the registration and not of the favorable or
unfavorable conjuncture of a business. The organization must include in its
application form  the technical information and the politicies and criteria
that they will use.
   5) The received proposals, must include mechanisms that avoid the
irrational registration (or pre-registration) of new domain names under the
new gTLD, with the aim of having a profit selling this name. The first days
of registration (or pre-registration) will be very important for the
success of this new gTLD . The policies implemented must guarantee that
nobody, neither registries nor the clients could sent massive request
trying to monopolize the new resource.
   6) The ICANN must evaluate the applications and assign the
administration of the new gTLD using a procedure that mus be defined
evaluating the proposals that assure in better form the use of the new gTLD.
   7) If it were not being fulfilled the approved policies of the registry,
the ICANN will have the possibility  of modify the allocations of the new
gTLD's administration,

Raul Echeberria
raul@inia.org.uy

Raul Echeberria